First I need to thank my niece, Erin, for inviting me to take part in this project – Thanks Erin!
Now, on to the resolutions part.
I despise New Year’s Resolutions (NYR from now on.) This doesn’t really make sense since I am a planner and a list maker so why this deep feeling of resentment? Instead of making me feel better about my life or in control they just make me feel inadequate.
I like to make goals for myself so I need to rethink the whole NYR idea, to find a way to make it acceptable to me. A way that doesn’t allow for a self-esteem hit in mid-March. So instead of a list of specific goals I am going to compile a list of things I would like to accomplish, experience, share, create etc. and log them as I go. That way at the end of the year instead of feelings of resentment I will have a wonderful list to reflect on for 2014.
So here is a beginning list of accomplishments, experiences, creations etc. to look forward to in 2013:
1. use the skills I have (ie. knitting, weaving, spinning, cake decorating, writing, reading, organizing etc.) more often and in new ways
2. try different foods/activities/adventures/books/etc., even ones I haven’t previously liked
3. learn new techniques for the things I already do well
4. research SPD, PDD-NOS and childhood anxiety so I can be a better advocate for my children
6. try to be mindful and present in the moment
Take that NYR’s!